26 Mistakes I’ve Done In My 26 Years | #lindasbirthdayweek 2021


They say that “the older you get, the wiser you become” and this is one of the best things of getting older - you learn. 

Life teaches you so many lessons that if you’re smart, you’ll take those lessons for the rest of your life. 

We learn from our mistakes. We’re also all human, we all make mistakes or have made mistakes at one point of our lives. I’m not an exception, I’ve done so many, and I’ve learned so much with them that I’ll be forever grateful for it.

I’m pretty sure that will keep doing many more mistakes, because that’s how life is. Life has a weird way of teaching us. 

I really hope you like this post. :) 


Dizem que “quanto mais velho ficas, mais sábio te tornas” e esta é uma das melhores coisas de ficar mais velhos: nós aprendemos. 

A vida ensina-nos imensas lições que se formos espertos, levamos essas lições conosco para o resto das nossas vidas. 

Nós aprendemos com os nossos erros. Também somos todos humanos, todos nós cometemos erros, ou já o cometemos a algum ponto das nossas vidas. Eu não sou exceção, já cometi imensos, e já aprendi imenso com eles também, que vou estar para sempre grata por isso. 

Tenho quase a certeza que ainda vou cometer muitos mais erros, porque é mesmo assim que a vida é. A vida tem uma maneira estranha de nos ensinar coisas. 

Espero muito que gostem deste post. :) 

 


Not listening to others 

I’m still pretty bad at this, but I think these days I listen more than I did before.  

When I was younger I had the bad habit of not listening at all… people would talk to me, try to teach me something or make me see something in a different way and I would just ignore it. 

This would happen a lot with some advice from my parents, I would just ignore it. Nowadays I listen a lot more to them. 


Thinking I wasn’t good enough  

This was probably the worst mistakes I’ve ever committed growing up… I’ve always thought I wasn’t good enough. I’ve never gave myself enough credit. 

And this made me lose so many opportunities in my life. 


Stop living my life because of others 

I feel like this is the most common mistake that human beings do… especially when we are in a relationship. 

How many times I wanted to go out or travel and I didn’t do it because if I did it, I’d make someone mad at me. 

This is honestly something so ridiculous. I’ve learned my lesson here, I don’t give a damn about what people say… If I want to do something, I’ll do it.  


Não ouvir os outros 

Ainda sou bastante má nisto, mas acho que hoje em dia já oiço mais do que fazia dantes. 

Quando era mais nova, tinha o hábito terrível de não ouvir… as pessoas falavam comigo, tentavam ensinar-me alguma coisa ou fazer-me ver qualquer coisa de uma maneira diferente e eu simplesmente ignorava. 

Isto acontecia imenso com conselhos vindos dos meus pais, simplesmente ignorava. Hoje em dia, oiço-os muito mais. 


Pensar que não era boa o suficiente 

Este foi provavelmente dos piores erros que eu cometi enquanto crescia. Sempre pensei que não era boa o suficiente. Nunca dei crédito suficiente a mim própria. 

E isto fez-me perder tantas oportunidades na minha vida. 


Parar de viver a minha vida por causa de outra pessoa 

Eu acho que este é dos erros mais comuns que os humanos cometem… especialmente quando estão em relações. 

Quantas vezes é que eu queria sair ou ir viajar e não o fiz, porque se o fizesse, alguém iria ficar chateado comigo? 

Isto é algo ridículo. Eu aprendi a minha lição aqui, não quero mais saber do que as pessoas dizem… se eu quiser fazer algo, simplesmente faço-o.  



Not saying sorry enough 

There was a time in my life where my pride was huge! I would do whatever I wanted without apologizing. 

These days, I say sorry more than I should. 


Not saying what I really wanted to

How many times did I want to say something and I ended up saying something else just to please the other person? 

Ugh, this was so dumb. Never do this! Just say what you want, express your feelings, your thoughts. Don’t be scared. 


Getting too comfortable in my comfort zone 

Another big big mistake. 

You know the problem about getting too comfortable is that anything start to scare you when it’s outside your comfort zone. 

I was so comfy that even thinking about going “outside the box” was something terrifying. 


Não pedir desculpa mais vezes

Houve uma altura na minha vida onde o meu orgulho era enorme! Eu fazia qualquer coisa sem pedir desculpa. 

Hoje em dia, peço desculpa mais do que devia. 


Não dizer aquilo que realmente queria 

Quantas vezes é que eu queria dizer uma coisa e acabei por dizer outra só para agradar á outra pessoa? 

Ugh, isto é tão estúpido. Nunca façam isto! Digam o que vos vai na alma, expressem os vossos sentimentos, os vossos pensamentos. Não tenham medo. 


Ficar demasiado confortável na minha zona de conforto 

Outro grande erro. 

Sabem o problema de ficarmos demasiado confortáveis é que qualquer coisa nos assusta para além da nossa zona de conforto. 

Eu fiquei tão confortável que só a ideia de pensar “fora da caixa” era algo que me aterrorizava. 



Not saying “fuck off” enough times 

We all have done this mistake, and I keep doing it. 


Doing things just to please others  

I wasted 3 years of my life doing this. I was studying something I didn’t like just to make my parents happy, for what? At the end, it’s my life not theirs. 


Not following my heart 

I’m a very impulsive person, I think you’ve noticed it already, and I forget to listen to my heart. 

I take some decisions by impulse and this is one of the worst things I can do.  


Não dizer “fuck off” mais vezes 

Todos nós já cometemos este erro, e eu continuo a fazê-lo.  


Fazer coisas só para agradar aos outros 

Eu perdi 3 anos da minha vida a fazer isto. Estava a estudar algo que eu não gostava apenas para fazer os meus pais felizes, e para quê? No fim, é a minha vida e não a deles. 


Não seguir o meu coração 

Eu sou uma pessoa muito impulsiva, eu acho que vocês já devem ter notado isto, e muitas vezes esqueço-me de ouvir o meu coração. 

Tomo decisão por impulso e isto é uma das piores coisas que eu posso fazer.  



Trust the wrong people 

I either love or hate people. Sometimes I just have that feeling of “don’t trust this person” and other times I didn’t have this which led me into trusting the wrong ones. 

But it’s okay, I feel like I’ve learned how to be extra cautions when it comes to trust people. 


Thinking everyone has the same heart as I do 

Or thinking that everyone is as good as I am. 

I could never disrespect anyone, no matter what they’ve done to me… but unfortunately not everyone is like this. 


Being scared of rejection 

This is kinda the same of the “thinking I wasn’t good enough”. 

I’ve never been a popular kid, at least, not for good reasons tho. I think this had a huge impact on the way I saw myself around others. 

I’ve never liked to give my opinion in front of a lot of people because I was scared they would reject it or just laugh at me. 

I had some issues here. 


Confiar nas pessoas erradas 

Eu ou amo ou odeio as pessoas. Às vezes tenho aquela sensação de “não confies nesta pessoa” e outras vezes não tive isso o que fez com que eu confiasse nas pessoas erradas. 

Mas está tudo bem, eu sinto que aprendi a ser muito cuidadosa quando se trata de confiar em pessoas. 


Pensar que toda a gente tem o mesmo coração que eu 

Ou pensar que toda a gente é tão boa como eu. 

Eu nunca poderia desrespeitar alguém, não importa o que fizeram comigo… mas infelizmente nem toda a gente é assim. 


Ter medo da rejeição 

Isto é mais ou mesmo a mesma coisa que “pensar que não sou boa o suficiente”. 

Nunca fui uma criança popular, pelo menos, não pelos melhores motivos. Acho que isto teve um grande impacto na maneira como eu me via ao pé das outras pessoas. 

Nunca gostei de dar a minha opinião em frente de muita gente porque tinha medo que as pessoas a rejeitassem ou que apenas se rissem. 

Tive alguns problemas aqui.  



Not giving myself more love 

Self love. 

I think I started to love myself more only a couple years ago. How dumb!! 

We spend our whole entire lives with ourselves, if there’s anyone we should love is us and our bodies! 


Not spending enough time with my loved ones  

I love to spend time with myself. I love to be alone, I’ve always been like this. 

And because of it, I would always make excuses to not spend more time with my friends or with my family. 

This changed dramatically… I take every opportunity I get to see them and spend time with them. 


Not saying bye to my grandma 

I don’t think I’ve ever mentioned this here… but from all of the mistakes I’ve done this was the one I really really regret. 

The last opportunity I had to see my grandma was back in 2018… I was already living in London and I went to Portugal on my days off. 

I had the chance to go see her, but I though “no, I have something else to do before I go back there and I’ll see her next time I come here”… guess what? That next time never arrived. She passed away and I didn’t even say bye or spend some quality time with her. 

I’ll never forgive myself for this.  


Não me amar mais 

Amor próprio. 

Eu acho que comecei a amar-me mais apenas há uns anos atrás. Que parva!!! 

Passamos as nossas vidas inteiras conosco próprios, se há alguém que temos de amar é nós mesmos e os nossos corpos! 


Não passar tempo suficiente com os que mais gosto 

Eu adoro passar tempo sozinha. Adoro estar sozinha, sempre fui assim. 

E por causa disso, arranjava sempre desculpas para não passar mais tempo com os meus amigos ou com a minha família. 

Isto mudou drasticamente… eu aproveito cada oportunidade que tenho para os ver e passar tempo com eles. 


Não dizer adeus minha avó 

Acho que nunca mencionei isto aqui… mas de todos os erros que eu já cometi, este é aquele que eu me arrependo mesmo mesmo muito. 

A última oportunidade que eu tive de ver a minha avó foi em 2018, já estava a viver em Londres e fui a Portugal nos meus dias de folga. 

Tive a oportunidade de a ver, mas pensei “ah não, eu tenho outras coisas para fazer antes de voltar para lá e vejo-a da próxima vez que cá vier”… adivinhem? Nunca houve uma próxima vez. Ela faleceu e eu nem lhe disse um último adeus ou passei tempo de qualidade com ela. 

Nunca me vou perdoar por isto.  



Being always “too busy” 

I was “too busy” to see my grandma. 

I was also too busy to go out with my friends before, or do some things with my family… 

This has changed so much, I barely say no these days and even if I’m actually busy, I always make time for the people I really care about. 


Being terrified of love 

This is something I still really struggle with. 

I don’t know why, I have no problem in showing love to my friends… but when it comes to a man, I simply just can’t. It isn’t that I can’t, I can but I’m scared. I don’t know how to explain it to you. 

However, I’m still much better than I was before.


Not saying “no” more often 

Or not saying no when I really wanted to. 


Estar sempre demasiado “ocupada” 

Eu estava “demasiado ocupada” para ver a minha avó. 

E também estava sempre ocupada para sair com os meus amigos antes, or fazer coisas com a minha família… 

Isto mudou imenso, quase que não digo que não hoje em dia… e mesmo se estiver ocupada, arranjo sempre tempo para as pessoas de quem eu realmente gosto. 


Ter medo do amor 

Isto é algo que eu ainda tenho muitas dificuldades em saber gerir. 

Não sei porquê, eu não tenho qualquer problema em mostrar que amo os meus amigos… mas quando se trata de um homem, não consigo simplesmente. Não é que não consiga, eu consigo, mas tenho medo. Não vos consigo explicar. 

Mas, estou muito melhor do que era antes. 


Não dizer “não” mais vezes 

Ou não dizer não quando eu realmente o queria fazer.  



Not putting myself first  

There was a time in my life where I was too focused on making other people happy and sometimes I would forget about what I really wanted. 

That led me into anxiety. 


Ignoring my intuition 

I don’t like to brag, but intuition is really good. If I feel something isn’t right… 99% of the times, it isn’t. 

And sometimes I would just ignore it because I really liked someone or I wanted to do something different. 


Getting too anxious about the future 

This is still a work in progress… 

I have my moments where I start to think where I want to be in a couple years and that causes me so much anxiety. Like, why am I thinking about this? I don’t even know if I’m going to be here tomorrow. 

It’s something I can’t help. 


Não me meter em primeiro lugar 

Houve uma altura na minha vida em que eu estava demasiado focada em fazer os outros felizes e esquecia-me do que eu realmente queria. 

Isso levou-me a ter ansiedade. 


Ignorar a minha intuição 

Eu não gosto de me gabar, mas a minha intuição é muito boa. Se eu sinto que algo não está bem… 99% das vezes, não está mesmo. 

E por vezes eu simplesmente a ignorei porque gostava de alguém ou queria mesmo muito fazer algo diferente. 


Ficar demasiado ansiosa pelo futuro 

Isto ainda é um trabalho em progresso… 

Eu tenho os meus momentos onde começo a pensar onde quero estar daqui a uns anos e isso causa-me tanta ansiedade. Porque é que eu sou assim? Nem sei que vou estar aqui amanhã. 

É algo que não consigo evitar.  



Believing my happiness depended on others  

I felt this a lot with my last relationship. 

I thought that I was only happy with that person by my side. Thank God I grew up and I realized I don’t need anyone by my side to be happy. 

I just need myself. 


Taking my health for granted 

I feel like when we’re younger we think we’re invincible, that nothing can hit us, that things only happen to others and not to us… until it really hit us, and we start to see things in a different way. 


Not being cautions enough  

You know those signs saying “danger ahead”? I would always ignore it just to do whatever I wanted to. 

To be honest with you, I’ve put myself into some pretty dangerous situations that I honestly don’t know how nothing bad happened.  


Acreditar que a minha felicidade dependia de outros 

Senti-me muito assim na minha última relação- 

Achava que só era feliz com aquela pessoa ao meu lado. Graças a Deus que cresci e percebi que não preciso de ninguém ao meu lado para ser feliz. 

Só preciso de mim mesma. 


Tomar a minha saúde por garantida 

Eu acho que quando somos mais novos achamos que somos invencíveis, que nada nos pode atingir, que as coisas apenas acontecem aos outros e não a nós… até que nos atingem e começamos a ver as coisas de uma maneira diferente. 


Não ser cautelosa o suficiente 

Sabem aqueles sinais de “perigo”? Eu ignorava tudo apenas para fazer o que queria. 

Para ser sincera com vocês eu já me meti em situações mesmo perigosas que honestamente não sei como nunca aconteceu nada de mal.  



Rushing through life and forgetting about the present  

I consider myself a person that lives a lot in the present. I try to enjoy every moment like it’s the last one, I try to always make the best time with my loved ones… but I have a problem - I always want more. 

And with this, I worry a lot about making things happen and sometimes I just forget to live the moment. It’s like I’m there but I’m not actually there. 


Not going after my dreams sooner  

I’ve always wanted to be a flight attendant, and I’ve grown up to people telling me I was too short for it. I would never be able to do it. 

When I finally decided to go for it, I was 24y old… so I wasted a lot of years listening to people and not going after it. 

I really wished I could have started flying when I was younger.   


Apressar-me na vida e esquecer-me do presente 

Eu considero-me uma pessoa que vive imenso no presente. Tento aproveitar cada momento como se fosse o último, tento sempre ter os melhores momentos com os que mais amo… mas eu tenho um problema: eu quero sempre mais. 

E com isto, eu preocupo-me imenso em fazer as coisas acontecerem e por vezes, esqueço-me de viver no momento. É como se eu estivesse lá, mas na verdade não estou. 


Não ir atrás dos meus sonhos mais cedo 

Eu sempre quis ser uma hospedeira de bordo, e cresci com as pessoas a dizerem-me que eu era demasiado pequena para isso. Que nunca iria ser capaz. 

Quando finalmente decidi tentar, tinha 24 anos… e gastei imensos anos da minha vida a ouvir as pessoas em vez de tentar. 

Gostava mesmo muito de começar a voar mais nova. 


“Nobody’s perfect. We make mistakes. We say wrong things. 

We do wrong things. We fall. We get up. We learn. We grow. We move on. We live.”  




Follow

1 Comments

  1. Dear Rita, I accidentally bumped into your blog and I couldn't be more grateful for it. It is exactly what I needed at the exact right time. As someone just entering my twenties, I often find myself being too afraid to live, too afraid to do anything for the fear that it isn't good enough, or isn't perfect. I am too preoccupied to make mistakes and only now do I realise their value in personal growth. What really reasoned with me is your ability to live in the present and make all the mistakes life has to offer, something I felt in your aura the short moment I spent with you in Belgium. I think you have a beautiful soul, sensitive and very very sincere and kind. I know I don't know you, but as you say instincts are almost always right. I want to wish you a Happy Birthday in a more proper way. To many more mistakes, to living, to hurting, to feeling, to growing! I hope you can realise all that your heart desires, this year and forever. Take care of yourself, be kind to yourself and don't be afraid. I want to leave you with a thought that has been on my mind lately, from Michael Chabon's 'The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay':
    “The magician seemed to promise that something torn to bits might be mended without a seam, that what had vanished might reappear, that a scattered handful of doves or dust might be reunited by a word, that a paper rose consumed by fire could be made to bloom from a pile of ash. But everyone knew that it was only an illusion. The true magic of this broken world lay in the ability of things it contained to vanish, to become so thoroughly lost, that they might never have existed in the first place.”
    Sending you a sincere delicate hug,
    Alexandra

    ReplyDelete